Monday, March 14, 2011

Saving time, spending time

Daylight savings time. Good heavens what a way to throw off the internal clock of a night shifter.

I work 12 hour night shifts. 7:30 pm until 7:30 am. In a six week schedule, four of those weeks are nights. There are days when I am lucky to net myself 3 hours sleep. I can not, absolutely NOT sleep for a long time in the day. My past seven months have been inundated with short fits of sleep. Recently, after talking about my problem sleeping to my husband, he suggested one of those little masks that cover your eyes. Black out the daylight. So we bought one. Sleep comes quicker than it used to and lasts longer. I'm so pleased. My mood is better and with the rest, I am able to spend time with my kids. My daughter complains to her nanny that she doesn't get "enough cuddle time with mommy", and my son, when he comes to wake me says "Oh mommy, I'm home, I missed you sooooo much" Being well rested is not only good for the body, but for the peace of mind my kids have when I am less likely to be telling them "No, hunny, mommy's too tired" and more likely to say "Sure thing sweetie, let me just grab my sunglasses" as we head out the door for fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment